Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm Claiming It!!!

My baby boy has said his first word and it is........















MAMA!!

Woohoo!
 He's been babbling awhile now on various syllables...

  mamamamamama mamamama mamamamamaaaaaa

dadadadadadadadadada   dadadadadada  dadaadadadaadadada

bababababababababa   babababa bababa    bababababa baba

I have thought for several weeks that he's been saying Mama and meaning it in certain situations but last night was proof positive - and therefore, I'm claiming 'Mama' as his first word!


 You have to understand that my firstborn had absolutely NO interest in saying Mama. His first word was doggie - said at 7 months sandwiched in between squeals of delight while playing with our super-lovey German Shepherd. By the time he was one he was saying all sorts of other things - including Dada but he had no use for Mama until he was 18 months old. 18 months!!
 I know, I know...pediatrician says 'mmm' is harder to say; it sometimes just takes longer to come. Sigh.



However, last night we were celebrating my birthday with family and little one was crawling like a maniac between Grandma and Daddy. I said, "Sugar punkin, say Mama" and he stopped, looked right at me, and said, 'Mama'! No extra syllables at all - just 'Mama'.

 I have witnesses! Grandma (who's even Daddy's mama!) will attest that S-P said 'Mama'...



Yay! Happy birthday to me!

2 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to you! What a sweet little gift your baby gave you. :o) I had to laugh because my daughter was just like your firstborn - babbled the ma-ma-ma-ma and da-da-da-da bit for a while but at 9 months she was sitting on my lap and the cat walked by and she said, clear as can be, "Meow."

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! xo

humel said...

Oh, how gorgeous!! My boy's first word was definitely and very clearly 'teddy', said while pointing at the embroidered teddy on my night shirt. My girl? Dada. And it's still all about her father even now, aged nearly 9....!